The silver was too similar to the wall color and didn't really add anything to the area. I decided to try another idea I saw on Pinterest and use paint swatches to bring in some color, kinda like this:
I grabbed another canvas from Joann's while I was out and about and a paint sample book that we had laying around my office collecting dust.
I started by cutting out the paint samples in 2" x 2" squares to fit the 24" x 36" canvas size.
Which left me with about 250 or so paint squares:
I then used some double-sided tape to adhere the squares to the canvas. I used the blue tape just to make sure I was aligning up, so that it didn't get wonky towards the end.
I kept the colors in order of the booklet to get a rainbow effect and kept adding squares until the entire canvas was filled.
In total it probably took an hour to cut and paste all the squares. I had Mike hang it for me with some screws and I had a new piece of art in an afternoon. It's not perfect, but I like it that way.
I think it looks a lot better than my original art and adds some much needed color to our muted living room:
(We also finally broke down and bought some wine corks from Ebay (you'd think it would be more fun drinking 100+ bottles of wine, but sadly Mike and I couldn't do it) and filled our glass container - Benelli must be so overwhelmed because he hasn't thrown any of them out - yet!).
PS. Check out my other paint swatch art here.