When I showed the painted foundation I never did a full pulled-back shot of the porch. Since I use this blog as much as a platform to share our projects as I do a reference for us to look back on, I wanted to wrap this project up, officially.
This is probably the first project that doesn’t look that much different from the before, but the progress photos show all the good stuff. We started with the existing porch, with carpeted stairs, and a concrete slab that dead-ended into the grass.
We got to work removing and saving the siding, demoing the stairs, and tearing off the old wooden siding.
We then had to step back to re-evaluate the project after we found extensive termite damage.
After some discussion, we decided to keep the porch and rebuild it with extra support. Also adding better materials to prevent termite damage in the future.
And, got new stairs.
We wrapped the porch with Tyvek and PVC trim, and added faux stone panels to create a faux foundation and columns, creating an architectural detail and better curb appeal. Then added the saved siding back on.
Finally, I painted the foundation (technically, only half of it) with a paint color matched to the faux stone for better continuity.
Even though we still have to fill in some of the garden beds, we’re calling this baby done!
I hope to get the other foundation wall painted before the weather turns.
Like I said at the beginning, the before and after aren’t mind blowing or anything, I mean we literally transplanted the same plants back into place, but all the work underneath is impressive and we can definitely tell the new supports when we walk around on the porch.
The before/after back to back:
We recently added up all the receipts from this project, as well as all the new landscaping (new beds, mulch, rocks) and our total was $2,700. We had estimated that a new porch would be close to $5,000, so we went in to this project fearing the worse. We feel really good about the upgraded curb appeal, as well as making the foundation secure and preventing future damage. We’re also impressed we were able to clean up the rest of the yard in that number too!